Monday, November 12, 2007

An unfair world

Hello all. Sorry for the delay in between blogs, but internet access is difficult. Now, my computer has decided to stop working all together, so I'm having to bum other people's computers now as well. Such is life overseas! Actually, there's an IT guy here, so I'm going to take it to him to see what he can do with it.
Yesterday was tough. I was working in the OB outpatient clinic, and I saw a woman I had seen last week. She is currently pregnant with her 5th pregnancy and has no living children. She has made it to full-term with all of her previous pregnancies and has had deaths of her children either prior to, during, or immediately following labor. So, when I saw her on Wednesday, I was determined that we would get her a successful outcome. We sent her for testing of the baby, which looked good. She was only 35weeks at the time, and here, they cannot do much for premature babies. So, we decided to do close testing and instructed her well on monitoring her babies movements. We decided we would electively deliver her once she reached 37wks. Turns out, we should have just delivered her that day. She came back yesterday for her testing and the baby was dead. I sat there dumbfounded when the midwife handed me the ultrasound report. Did I miss something? Should I have done something different? More importantly, how is this poor woman going to deal with this in a culture where women's only worth is found in their children? My heart broke for her as before my eyes she went through the stages of grief - denial, wanting a 2nd opinion, and then finally it hit her. As she sat there crying, I just wondered "Why Lord?" I know that He has a reason for everything, but sometimes I just don't understand. We are not allowed to pray with the patients at the hospital, so in my heart I said a prayer for her and I got her phone number so that I can call her. Her name is Malalai - please remember her and her family in your prayers as they go through this difficult time.
Now that you're thoroughly depressed - I did have a bright moment this morning. I was checking email and I found out that my "nieces" who are 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 were both asking about me last night. What a joy to hear! By the way, for those of you who were following Anara's story through her surgery, she is doing great and now home. You can go the Hubartt family link on my blog to read more.
Hope you are all well. I'm about halfway through my time here - look forward to seeing you all when I get home.

3 comments:

Scott and Emily's Blog said...

Oh Christine,
My heart breaks for Malalai. I am praying for her to feel the peace of Christ. I can't imagine how hard it was and is for you, but know that you are being used by God and He is giving you wisdom. I don't understand this outcome either, I too would be asking God "Why!" and it's ok to ask Him why? How old is Malalai? When you follow up with her at home can you pray with her then? Just follow the Holy Spirit's leading. I love you lots...em

cjr said...

hristiana Franco!! This is Christiana Reist. Tim and I finally found out where in this world you are from your dad. We are so proud of you following God's leadings in your life into the uttermost parts of the earth! I wish we could come see you and cheer you on in person. But , since we cannot, I will share a bit of what God is doing here at Northwoods. Tim and I have been trained within the past 2 years through Christian Healing Ministries in Jacksonville, Fla. Francis MacNutt is the founder- an 80+ year old prayer warrior with 40+ yrs. of experience in seeing God's miracles firsthand! It has been an exciting ride. We would recommend any of his books to you in combining your great medical knowledge with the great physician, even if they can't KNOW that you are lifting them up!
Just in the past year, we have begun "soaking" prayer appointments where a person can be prayed for by trained volunteers for an hour , uninterrupted!!
We have seen the miraculous. Inner healings from childhood wounds, a breast "cyst" explode and disappear during a biopsy, a brain tumor disappear and many more!!

Keep depending on him for your insight and wisdom and we now know how to better lift you up . James 5:13-16
We love and miss you, Christy

dcfrancis said...

Hi young lady.Hope all is well with you.We love you very much,just wish you were home.
This country [our] is in such bad shape you need to do your missionary work here.
Stay sfe and my God watch over you.XOXOXO