Wednesday, November 21, 2007

No longer culturally sensitive

Ok - today's blog is going to be full of venting. I'm so frustrated with this culture right now. Although it has many beneficial features - they are very hospitable, they value family to a fault, they are kind - I have to say that I am so tired of men who know nothing medical dictating (and I mean dictating) the medical care of their wives. I saw a woman in clinic today who has lost 2 babies previously, both of which she delivered at home because her husband refused to allow her to go to a hospital. Now, she presented for her first visit at around 34 weeks. She was complaining of itching all over, including her palms and soles. She said that this happened with her last pregnancy as well. So, I started thinking that she probably has something called cholestasis of pregnancy, which is a problem with the liver that can lead to sudden death of the baby. We sent her for some tests and her liver enzymes were extremely elevated. So, the recommendation from me and Dr. Jacqui as well was to be admitted immediately, given steroids to help the baby's lungs mature, and deliver soon as her infant is at high risk for sudden death. Her and her mother-in-law both said that her husband would not allow that and that they needed to go home. We explained over and over and in the end, they agreed to go home and talk to the husband. They thought that he would agree to bring her back tonight. So, hopefully she'll show up with a live baby.
Other than that, I had a good day. I gave another lecture. Things are going well here. I'm finally feeling back to normal. I have one more week here, and as the time to leave approaches, I must say that I have mixed feelings. I'm definitely ready to go home, which is a strange feeling for me. Not that I don't always miss people back home, but in the past, when I've been in Romania and Myanmar, I just feel so drawn to the place that I'm resistant to return to the States. That, for whatever reason, is missing this time. I have enjoyed my time here, and I feel a burden for this country and these people. But, it just doesn't seem the same. I guess I'm not meant to feel called to every country, right? That always makes leaving difficult, though, because everyone wants to know when you'll be back. So, I guess I'll need to work through that.
I hope you all are doing well.

4 comments:

Scott and Emily's Blog said...

Oh man Christine, I would be so angry and frustrated if I were in your shoes...it is such a fine line between being culturally sensitive and doing the "best" thing. I pray that God convicts this husband and gives the women wisdom and guidance to come back to the hospital. I pray that God gives this woman a healthy baby! Amen love you and thank you for being used by God. em

Unknown said...

Christina,
I just wanted to let you know that I have sent you an email about all of this, but just in case you cannot read your email, I will tell you through your blog. You are going to need a new hot water heater. It is leaking massively. The floor drain is handling the water. I turned everything off going to the hot water heater, but you are defintely going to need a new one. If you email your Dad, perhaps he can advise you on this. Everything else with your house is fine. Sorry to break this bad news to you! Love you so very much and love reading your blogs everyday. Looking forward to having you home. Please do call whenever you have the chance. Read your email to find out what happened to Bethany. I am praying peace and patience for you. I understand your frustration. Remember that God is in control. Talk to you soon. Love you much. Mom

Unknown said...

Hi, Christina! Yes, it is unusual for you to spend time ministering in a needy place, only to feel anger and frustration. God has given you compassion and unusual giftedness. It should come as no surprise that you feel frustrated when you are encumbered from using these gifts freely in His name. And, you are wise to realize that you cannot save the world - by yourself! Take what you have learned and experienced in Afghanistan and use it to bless others in places where you are not encumbered from ministering freely. Good bless you. Mom and I look forward to seeing you again!
Love you much...Dad!

Pam Markley said...

Oh my dear sister I hear you and my heart echoes yours.

welcome home and I look forward to one day talking about our adventures in person.