Friday, November 2, 2007

All by my lonesome

Good morning from Afghanistan! Yesterday was a good day. Our Afghan friend got us into Rabia Balkhi which is the largest maternity hospital in Afghanistan. It has received US support in the past. They were very welcoming and answered all of our questions. We are looking into starting a midwife training program, as midwives are key in this country to taking care of women and babies. They were very helpful for us. We asked about their needs and they have a lot. Their support pretty much just comes from the government and it is minimal. They need anesthesia machines, mammogram machines, pap smear supplies, probes for vaginal ultrasounds, laparoscopy equipment. So, if there's anyone out there who knows how to get their hands on some of these things, please let me know.
Then we go to tour the hospital. I was once again humbled as I saw protocols hanging on the walls that were right on with what we do in America. They really are trying to provide good health care, they just lack the resources they need. We saw 3 women who had just delivered. The midwives told us that it was a slow day, as they usually deliver 1500-1700 babies/month (not including operative deliveries)! We hope to establish a relationship with this hospital as well.
For lunch, we took all the teachers from the school up to the Intercontinental Hotel for a beautiful lunch buffet. They really enjoyed it and we spent a lot of time talking with them and learning more about their lives. Then, in the afternoon, we took all of the medical supplies we had brought over to CURE. They were so excited about them and were impressed at the amount (we pulled out some to give to Rabia Balkhi hospital). I'm really looking forward to getting started there.
But, there is one sad thing about today - the group from my church is leaving. It has been great reconnecting with them and it will be hard to see them go. I am thankful, though, that I have had this week with them.
One other piece of news - an internist that I know from home (Dr. Dee) was planning on coming over for 3 weeks and flying back with me. I found out the day I left that she was no longer coming, and I was pretty bummed about this. But, not to worry, I got an email today that her trip is back on. So, that's something to be happy about!
Hope everyone at home is well. Amanda, it was great to talk to you last night. Mom - try answering your phone!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Christina! I'm not a big blogger. But, I read each of your postings at least once! And, I've shared your blog - and blogspot - with a number of our friends. I'm very proud of you. And, I'm excited at what God is doing through you, the team and the people of Afghanistan. I'll encourage your mom to answer her phone! But, you can ALWAYS call me!
Love, Dad

Unknown said...

Christine,

Unca Chippa here. I am forwarding your blog to all my medical friends. Maybe we can come up with something to help you out over there. I am glad to see you were able to go and that everything is good.

Miss ya, Cherie and I love ya lots