Sunday, November 18, 2007

So much to blog, so little time

Wow, have I got a lot to blog about. I think a day-by-day approach would be the easiest. Let me just first say that I am well and continuing to see the beautiful as well as the harsh aspects of this country.

So, last I wrote, I was excited about getting to operate. On Thursday, I spent the whole day in the operating room (or operating theater as they call it here). I watched a vesicovaginal fistula repair, which was very interesting. For those of you not in the know, that is an abnormal communication between the bladder and the vagina, leading to constant leakage of urine. Hers was caused by a very traumatic delivery out in a village with no repair of the damages. It went well, and it was amazing to think that such a simple procedure will make such a dramatic impact on her life. Then, I was able to do a hysterectomy with one of the fellows and even taught her a few things, I think. It was great. As we were finishing up, we heard that a patient who had been hospitalized for about 1-2weeks was hemorrhaging. The kicker is that she also has severe heart disease. So, she came back for an emergent C-section. I have grown close to her over the last couple of weeks, and I was able to sit next to her and hold her hand and comfort her throughout the procedure. I also was able to show her her healthy baby boy for the first time. What a joy!

Then, Thursday night, I did my first night of call. It was definitely much less busy than what I am used to at home. I did a couple of routine deliveries and then got called to come do my third - when I got there, I found out that the baby was breech and this was her first! When she got to the hospital, she was completely dilated, so they decided to let her delivery naturally. Needless to say, I was excited and scared to death all at the same time. You see, this would be my first breech delivery and the risk of the baby's head getting stuck with this being her first baby was pretty high. And, we had no idea how big this baby would be. So, with the wonderful coaching of the OB fellow and a wonderful midwife, I completed my first breech delivery! It was great, and the baby did wonderfully. Praise God for that!

On Friday, one of the long-termers here decided to take us around the city. We went to a beautiful hotel in the city center and ate at an Indian restaurant inside the hotel. The food tasted wonderful, but even before we left the restaurant, I had a glimpse of what was to come as I started to fell "not quite right". We went up to the roof, though, and got some beautiful shots of the city. By the time we got back to the van, I knew that I needed to go home. Let's just say that for the next 2 days, I saw the bathroom about every 30 minutes and my stomach made noises that were not human. My internist friend here said that it sounded like Giardia (an amoeba) and since I've started antibiotics, I have felt much better.
On Saturday, I got a call from a midwife at the hospital saying that Malalai had come in in labor and was asking for me. Unfortunately, I could not get off the couch. I asked her to give my apologies and reiterated that I was praying for her. Dr. Dee, the internist friend of mine, went in that day and was able to go see her and tell her that she was my friend. She delivered shortly and Dee was able to get pictures of the baby and the placenta. Still no answers as to why, but I pray that she knows that she is loved and that she is being bathed in prayer.

So, that just about catches you up. Are you sick of reading yet? Here are some pictures. Look forward to seeing everyone when I get home!

A delivery bed


Me with 2 of the midwives (Victoria and Najeeba)




6 comments:

Scott and Emily's Blog said...

WOW! you have been busy and sick...i hope you are feeling lots better. I am sorry to hear about Malalai...I will continue to pray for her.
You look beautiful in your head scarf...do you have to cover your head during deliveries and surgeries? Maybe a silly question...
love you lots...keep up the good work, em

Unknown said...

We are so glad to hear that the infection was not worse than it was. And, we are glad to hear that your medical ministry is still going well. We know how difficult it is to get on a computer - especially since yours crashed! But, it means a lot to us to read about your work. And, we hope you get a chance to read all of the postings your friends and loved ones put on your blogspot!

Please take care of yourself even as you minister to others. When you get a chance, give the Afghani kids an extra hug and tell them it is from your parents!

Love ya lots,

Dad & Mom

Emily said...

Christina,
It's great to read about your adventures...I'm envious but very excited about your work there. I continue to keep you in my thoughts and hope you're feeling better. I look forward to catching up when you get home. Love and miss you! Emily Abernathy

Brandy Garrett said...

Hey, I miss you. Sweet job on the breech delivery - very exciting. Hope you are feeling all better now. Sounds like you are doing great things there. I'm enjoying your updates. Heard interviews were fine. Nothing new here. Colts won this weekend - I know you were really hoping for that update :)

Brandy Garrett said...

Hi, I miss you. Sweet job with that breech delivery. How exciting! Hope that you are feeling all better now. Sounds like you are doing great work. I enjoy reading your updates. We'll have you over for some turkey when you get home. Nothing new here. Heard interviews were fine. Colts won this weekend :)

Brandy Garrett said...

Oops I think I sent multiple messages. Sorry - not an experienced blogger.