Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Crash

Well, the IT guy says my computer is hopeless. Either the hard drive is crashed or my operating system has some fatal flaw. Very frustrating considering I have a presentation tomorrow and everything for it was on my computer. But, I was able to look up the articles again, and I think I will have it done in time. Thankfully, I have some very nice roommates here who are willing to let me use their computers. So, I guess I will be getting a new computer when I get home. The only thing I'm really worried about is getting my pictures from the last 3 years off of that hard drive. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Things here are going well. Since I blogged last, I've seen lots of patients in the clinic. It continues to amaze me how people will travel days just to get her to be seen. In many of the villages throughout Afghanistan, there is no health care at all. So, people travel for days, some on foot, to come here and wait for hours to be seen. How lucky we are - and to think that people throw a fit if their doctor is an hour behind!
I had a good day today with the OB/GYN fellows here. There was a urogynecologist from Eggers military base that came and gave a very good lecture. It was fun talking to him and he even had an Indianapolis connection. Then, I did a journal club with the fellows. Dr. Minor, if you're reading this, you would have been proud. The purpose was to help them learn how to clinically evaluate medical articles that are published. They all said that they learned a lot, so that's good.
Also, last night, I had dinner with the doctor and his wife who started this hospital. It was a wonderful time and it was great to hear their stories of how things have changed in the last few years.
So, that's all the new news I have from here. No word on Malalai yet. I will try and call her this week.
Take care and God Bless!

(p.s. - For my fellow residents, please let me know how interviews went)

4 comments:

Scott and Emily's Blog said...

so sorry to hear about the computer. my father in law works with computers so i'll ask him about getting pictures off of hard drives. Sounds like you are doing alot of teaching and lecturing...that's so cool...i have a real 'grown up' friend who has a real 'grown up' job :) sometimes it seems weird to look at you as a doctor...i knew you when all you wanted to do was stay behind in romania and never go to med school :) love em

dcfrancis said...

Christina your Uncle Pat said that,take your hard drive out and put it in another computer and everything will be saved.Your welcome

Unknown said...

I'm glad that you are doing well. I heard from Dr. Dee that you have been quite sought after as a dinner guest. It's good that you have been able to experience home life. Dee "sounded" really good in her email, you do as well. Ginger

Hubs said...

Let Andy look at it. It's already crashed so you don't have to worry about further harm - jk. Seriously, he has the license for some retrieval software.