Sunday, November 4, 2007

A little overwhelmed

Hello everyone. Well, I have survived my first day of work at the hospital. It really wasn't that bad except for not being able to communicate and trying to learn a new system.
Backing up a little bit, the team flew out on Friday, after multiple mishaps trying to figure out when their flight actually left. I moved into the CURE guesthouse - where I have my own room with a double bed and a balcony. Some of the comforts we had at the other guesthouse, however, are missing here. No one to do my laundry, electricity only a few hours/day, and lukewarm showers with no water pressure. But, I have certainly survived worse and I know that it is still leaps and bounds better than what most people deal with on a daily base here. The house is pretty full right now - 2 family medicine residents from Oklahoma, an orthopedic surgeon and his wife who came here from spending 6 weeks in Africa, a Brazilian pathologist and a nurse who is half German and half Afghani. Oh, and a pulmonologist from New York who is originally from here. What a melting pot!
On Saturday, I went with the Afghan doctor to a teaching hospital that is associated with the medical school where he trained. He gave a lecture there (slides in English, but he spoke in the local language), and I was able to pick up some things. After that, I was invited to his niece's home, who is a FM intern at CURE, for lunch. It was wonderful! I got to experience home life in Afghanistan and we were served a feast, which we ate sitting Indian style on the floor. It was wonderful to really experience the culture.
Which brings us to today. The work week here is Sunday through Thursday. I spent all morning in the prenatal clinic. It was very busy and I saw lots of new patients. I had an "interpreter" who could speak only a few words of English for the majority of the morning. So, it was just a little bit frustrating. By the end of the day, though, everyone was asking to see the foreign doctor. I'm sure this was very frustrating for the locals, who are just as qualified, if not more, than I am.
I think it will take some getting used to schedules, etc, but I am really looking forward to the next few weeks. I must admit, though, I am a little homesick. I'm hoping that getting into a routine will help that.
I love and miss you all. Keep praying!

4 comments:

Scott and Emily's Blog said...

Hey dearest! You are doing great! I am so proud of your courage to do what God has led you to do...you will be blessed as you said you already have been. But you will also be a blessing...in Jesus name amen! I know that with your humble spirit, the other doctors will see that you come to learn as well as teach. I can just picture you there, eating a traditional meal with that family. Wonderful!!! Was it good? What did you eat? Is this family a more liberal family? Just curious. send us a picture of you in your garb, ok. :) I bet you look beautiful! Well, gotta run and play with the kids...scott's sleeping in; it's his 30th birthday today. lots of love, em

Unknown said...

Hey Christina. I am sorry we missed your call this morning. Your Dad said that he could hear you but you could not hear him. It would have been great to be able to talk to you. I so look forward to reading your blog everyday to see what you are doing and to see how God is using you. Hang in there. I know you will. Just remember that God's grace is sufficient. Everyone doing well here. We love you and miss you and can't wait to talk to you!! Love and kisses! Mom and Dad and girls

dcfrancis said...

I sent you an e mail,hope you received.Really did not want it on the blog.
We love you very much and pray to God to keep you safe.

Courtney W. said...

Just wanted to let you know that we all miss you and are praying for you here at the hospital. I'm so happy that you are getting the chance to do what you truly love and are called to do. Can't wait to see you when you get back!
Miss you bunches!!
Courtney