Saturday, October 3, 2009

Umm, that's not a baby!

I promise I haven't been a delinquent blogger. My friend Amanda has been helping me out by posting my blogs, but she has been on vacation. So, there's a little bit of a backlog right now. There's more to come, though, I promise.
For now, I thought I would recount an interesting experience at the hospital about a week or so ago. I was sitting in the female surgical ward doing some paperwork when they quickly wheeled a woman in that they said was bleeding. She looked quite distressed, so I followed them into the room where we do D&C's. She looked like she was in quite a bit of pain. I spoke to her through the translator and she said she had been bleeding for a couple of days and the night before starting having what felt like labor pains. She said she didn't think she was pregnant, but couldn't be sure.
So, I lifted up her dress to examine her and she had what appeared to be a very pregnant abdomen. I asked her again if she thought she might be pregnant, but again, she wasn't sure. So, I went to examine her and felt a baby's head coming through the birth canal (at least what I thought was a baby's head!). It was at that point she told me she needed to push. So, I quickly told her I thought she was delivering a very premature infant and she should just go ahead and push. We sat there with her as she pushed and as the "baby" started to crown, I realized that it looked very odd. Gladys, one of the nurses, was standing next to me and we both looked at each other. I very quietly said "Gladys, does that look like a baby to you?" She looked at me with a look of confusion and said "No, that does not look like a baby, but what is it?" As it crowned a little more, I realized that it looked and felt like a fibroid (a benign growth of the uterus).
So, I told her to stop pushing and quickly took her to our ultrasound room. Sure enough, she had a uterus full of fibroids (including the one that had prolapsed through her cervix and was trying to deliver) and her uterus was about the size of a 20 week pregnancy. Boy did I feel silly! We took her to theatre later that day for a hysterectomy and she is doing very well.
That is definitely something I've never had happen before! There seems to be a lot of that around here.

3 comments:

Em said...

That is definately an interesting situation...one I am sure you will be able to laugh about later!

Em

Sarah Gutierrez said...

This is one of the crazier things I've heard all day! :) Your job sure does keep you one your toes.

Scott and Emily's Blog said...

yikes...dearest what can i say to a story like that...poor woman. hope you are well...em