Sunday, October 4, 2009

Edna

So, I have a lot of catching up to do. Two weeks ago, Edna, who helps me out at my house twice a week, invited Abi and I to her house for lunch. When I say she helps me out at my house, I mean that she does my laundry, does some cleaning, does a lot of my shopping and cooks some sort of marvel for us. She is such a sweet woman who loves taking care of others and, much to my delight, loves to cook and experiment with new recipes. She used to work for the Larson’s, a missionary family who was here previously and lived in the house where I am now living. She misses them a lot and I think is glad to be working in this house again.

After church, Abi and I headed to her home to share lunch with her. She lives about a 20 minute walk from here on a shamba (small farm) in a compound with many other relatives. Edna comes from a very large family and I don’t think even she can count how many relatives she has that live around her. She was happy to show us her farm and her cows. She welcomed us into her home for lunch and then walked about 20 minutes to get us some soda (trying to get used to calling it that). Abi and I felt bad that she had gone to so much trouble for soda, but she insisted – typical amazing Kenyan hospitality. We spent a long time talking about her and her family and her life.

After that, we went outside and played with some of her many nieces and nephews. As she showed us her cows, I mentioned that I’ve always wanted to learn how to milk a cow. She said she would be happy to teach me sometime. So, stay tuned for that!

I praise God for Edna and pray that we will be able to develop a meaningful friendship over the next couple of years.

The beautiful view on the walk to Edna’s
A Kenyan chicken coop
Edna and I
Me with Edna’s relatives

1 comment:

Em said...

It sounds like you have wonderful house help. It is neat to be able to connect with your house help and visit her home.
Em