Sunday, October 4, 2009

“It’s not a bad walk”

the “river”
looking up from the river

Some kids on the station

Famous last words. This is what I was told about the walk to the river. Last weekend, Abi, Drew, Isaiah (the grandson of a visiting surgeon), and I walked down to the local river. The walk there wasn’t bad at all, apart from a few steep parts. Once we got there, the view was spectacular (see pictures below). While the water isn’t the cleanest, it was so peaceful to sit on the banks and hear the water rush over the rocks. Isaiah, 15, had fun jumping the rocks and even laughed when he fell in the water – much to the delight of the Kenyans walking by. It is a beautiful spot and I hope to take a picnic down there sometime – Brandy and Deb, maybe when you come?!

When we were ready to head back, I asked if we were going back the same way we came (it had been a pretty steep downhill climb). Oh no, I was reassured. We’re taking the tarmac (paved) road back – it’s a much more gradual climb. Well, I have to admit that it was more gradual. But, it was uphill the entire way – for about 2 ½ miles. For someone as out of shape as I am, it was a feat. What normally takes about 30-40 minutes took us well over an hour. We even got caught in the rain on the way back. It felt like an accomplishment when we finally arrived back at the hospital, but oy, was I sore for the next several days. I keep telling myself that these sorts of walks are good for me – and the views are always worth it. I think next time, though, I will premedicate with ibuprofen!

No comments: