Friday, October 9, 2009

Another “little” walk

So, one of my goals while I’m here is to see as much of Kenya as possible and to get into better shape doing it. Last Sunday, I went with Mama Brian (so named because her first-born is named Brian), Drew, and the Petersons on what was deemed by Mama Brian to be an easy walk. I have now learned not to believe this when I hear it! Although, I have to say, the views were definitely worth it.

The walk down to the river (a different part than we had gone to before) was nice and leisurely. It was along a gravel road and wasn’t bad at all. Once we got down to the river, we met a large group of children (see picture below) and had fun joking with them. I even took off my shoes and socks, hiked up my pants, and went walking in the water (it was very shallow).

Then came the walk back. Mama Brian said that since we had to be back to station by 4 (for another commitment), we should take the shortcut. Great, I thought, a shortcut. Little did I know that the shortcut meant that instead of walking up a slight gradient, we would instead just hike right up the side of the hill (really a mountain if you ask me). So, with the help of my walking stick (courtesy of Mama Brian), we hiked up what we figured to be about 1000 feet at a 50-55 degree slope. I had to stop every few minutes. I used the excuse that I’m still acclimating to the altitude (about 7500 feet above sea level), but really it’s just that I’m out of shape. Everyone was great about it, though, and it did feel like an accomplishment when we were done. So, anyone who plans on coming – be prepared for some hikes as I think Mama Brian has become my new personal trainer J


Dave communing with the sheep

Me with the walking stick Mama Brian gave me. The Cherangani Hills can be seen in the background.

Other travelers on the road to the river.
Another sheep pic with the river in the background - it's so beautiful
Kids doing laundry at the river (they were also grazing their cows).

5 comments:

Benedicks in Shell said...

Hi Christina! It's great to read your blog and hear how the Lord is using you! We are praying for you--thanks for your prayers. I was reminded in my prayers today that when we feel inadequate, that's when God has the best opportunity to shine through us. Keep up the good work!
-Dan and Kristina Benedick

Megan said...

Beautiful pictures Christina! I'm jealous to hear your stories and know you are already there living it! Not much longer now. I ate at Qdoba yesterday and thought of you :) I'm praying for you girl!

Megan Shirley

Scott and Emily's Blog said...

love the blogs...can picture you meeting the kids and wading in the water! also, UNO the universal card game that can form relationships from kids in the states, romania, and even patients in an African hospital...love ya...are you getting my emails? em

Mike and Lisa Bowling said...

The pictures are beautiful, I didn't think everything would look so green! I know about those short cuts! They're always awful! Getting in shape would be good for you and me alike! Praying for you.

Tom and Cheri' said...

Christina,
My family is coming to Kapsowar for four weeks starting the end of January. My husband is a family doctor, but our whole family is coming and hoping that we can be involved either at the hospital or in the community. We have really enjoyed reading your blog. It makes us even more excited to come. Hopefully we can take some of these "little walks" as well. What a beautiful place.