Wednesday, September 16, 2009

God’s Promises

The other day, it had rained just a bit and as I walked to my first Swahili lesson (very excited about that), I looked up and saw a rainbow. I always think rainbows are pretty, but this one was especially pretty for two reasons. One, the backdrop is beautiful! Every day, I am amazed by the beauty of this place. I am trying to remember to thank God every time that thought hits me for His beautiful creation. It truly is a blessing to look out my windows and see this beautiful place.

The other reason it was so special was because it reminded me of God’s promise to never forsake His children. Kenya is in the midst of a significant drought right now and it is affecting the lives of so many. The corn, which is a major crop in this area, has mostly dried up and many have lost their crop for the season. It is also affecting availability of electricity and Kapsowar’s is turned off most days during daylight hours. It is also affecting cattle, another crucial aspect of life for so many here. But, that rainbow was a reminder that God promised to never forsake us. Also, we read a passage from Psalms that seemed particularly applicable. It comes from Psalm 65:9-11: “You care for the land and water it; you enrich it abundantly. The streams of God are filled with water to provide the people with grain, for so you have ordained it. You drench its furrows and level its ridges; you soften it with showers and bless its crops. You crown the year with your bounty, and your carts overflow with abundance.”

Please join me in praying that it will rain here and that people’s livelihoods will be saved. Please also pray that there will be a harvest of souls as well.

A reminder of God's promises
A view of the beautiful countryside

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi My name is Lonnie and I would like to help feed a child in Kenya. Please read my blog at http://networking4you@blogspot.com

If you would please help me spread the word so I may help feed a child.

Lonnie

Jeni said...

Those are beautiful pictures. It's hard to remember that in the midst of such beauty there is suffering. I will pray for rain.

Brad Keating said...

Hi Christina,
I love reading your blog, and I'm so glad you are off to a good start there!

Blessings to you!
Christy

Scott and Emily's Blog said...

praying for rain, my dearest! em

Big Jim said...

It is so encouraging to those of us back home that you can be so far away, dealing with unfamiliar culture, surroundings and other challenges, yet find God's handiwork there for your enjoyment and appreciation! A vivid reminder that, though we may travel to far and remote places, He will never leave us nor forsake us!

God is obviously finding much use for the gifts and abilities He has placed within you. It make mom and I very proud. And, it makes it a little easier for us to deal with the distance! We love you very much! DAD

Trisha C said...

hey, this is Trisha Caster (Seymour). So happy to get a chance to hear at where God is leading you!!!!

Unknown said...

Miss you so much. This getting started thing is tougher than I thought. So much responsibility, so much stress, so many emotional ups and downs. How that must be even more accentuated in your position. Most days I wish I could meet up with one of my classmates in the batcave to run things by them and get some reassurance. I hear you about the fetal loss thing. Just did a D and C for a 13wk demised anencephalic this am. Tough!

Candace

Sarah Gutierrez said...

Heya Christina! It's me Sarah (Jost) Gutierrez. I'm not an internet stalker, but I saw this link on your facebook and had to check it out. :) I knew you were in Kenya, but I didn't know the details. What a great way to keep people up to date on your mission work, etc. It sounds like God has some very exciting things for you there. How wonderful!! I'm going to add you to my blogroll so I can keep in touch. Take care!

Sarah

p.s. GORGEOUS photos!!

Unknown said...

feeling sad for kenya... praying for rain

Unknown said...

feeling sad for kenya... praying for rain