Monday, September 7, 2009

JOY

I recently received a newsletter that had the following passage in it. It was very encouraging and challenging to me and I wanted to share it with you all.

“. . .who for the joy that was set before him . . .” (Hebrews 12:2 ESV)
“On July 6, 1415, when Johannes Huss was led to his execution, he laughed as his accusers burned his life’s works in the church yard. Later as they piled the wood to his neck and prepared to light the fire, he proclaimed, “In the truth of that gospel which hitherto I have written, taught and preached; I now joyfully die.” If the martyrs throughout church history have taught us anything by their heroic and horrific deaths, it is that joy is a choice – albeit often a difficult one. It results from the spiritual work taking place within us that convinces us to look beyond our difficult circumstances and surroundings and delight in the larger picture of God’s economy.

In the unbearable stench of a Roman prison, Paul proclaimed, “Rejoice in the Lord, always!” (Philippians 4:4) Enduring the cruelty and ignominy of the cross, Jesus mustered the will to set his focus on “the joy that was set before him.” Joy is not the happiness of everything working out just right. Joy is resting on our enduring hope even when our world is burning.”

While I don't pretend that my current circumstances compare with the examples given here, I know that there will be tough times ahead. This was a challenge to me that my joy should not be based on my current circumstances, but rather on the knowledge that I serve a God who has already been there and who has given me an enduring hope. I pray that this challenges you as much as it has me.

Sometimes, though, God gives us tangibles to bring us joy. For me, this has included the people here. Many medical students rotate through Kapsowar. Currently there are 2 here from the UK, Abi and Philip. We have been having dinner together and just hanging out, which has been a huge blessing. Philip will be leaving Monday and Abi is going to move in with me for the rest of her time here (she leaves at the end of September). There is also an American plastic surgery resident here, Drew. Drew will be here for one year. I praise God that He has provided people my age to fellowship with. Also, the kids on the station continue to be a source of joy each day as I walk home from the hospital. There are some pictures below.

Abi and I holding twins that we had stayed at the
hospital all evening to deliver, then missed because we were doing a C-section

Kids with homemade hula skirts

Ruth, Joy, and Brenda (L to R) enjoying some of my chocolate chip cookies

Dinner at Mickal's (a patient attendant at the hospital). From left to right - Phil (medical student from Ireland), Nehemiah and Timothy (Mickal's sons), Drew, and James (a Kenyan physician here at the hospital)

1 comment:

Big Jim said...

It's so great to be able to see the people who are part of your daily life! Thank you for sharing that with us!

By the way.....no mention of the fate of that big bag of M&Ms we sent with you! Did they make it to Kenya? Mom and I are curious about the Kenyans' opinion of them!

Love ya! DAD