Monday, September 14, 2009

Another First

So, I was planning on writing a blog about the theatre (operating room) and then last night (Saturday), I had another first ever experience there which will make the perfect intro. We were having dinner at Salome’s (the hospital administrator) with a whole group of people from Samaritan’s Purse who are here to begin construction on the new theatre building and I got a call from maternity. The woman with twins who had been laboring since Friday was now ready to push. When I admitted her, the first baby was head first and the second was almost head first (oblique). Since she had had 5 babies previously, she was a good candidate for having a normal delivery. So, I headed into the hospital ready to do a fun twin delivery. When I arrived, I heard “Doctari, doctari” (doctor, doctor). The first baby had delivered and the water of the second had broken followed by an arm coming out and no head. I checked her and sure enough, I could not feel the head, but I could feel a pulsating cord coming out. The second baby’s heart rate was down, so I told them to move quickly to theatre for an emergency C/S. They moved very fast and the OR team was called in, but when we arrived up at theatre, we had to wait for what seemed like forever for them to get there. We prayed the whole time while the patient (E) was on her arms and knees on the gurney. When they arrived, we rushed in. Then came the dilemma. You see, if you remember, I said I came in from dinner. So, I didn’t have scrubs on – in fact I had a skirt and flip flops on. I looked quickly through the scrubs in theatre, but they, of course, are all made for skinny people. After a couple tries, I decided I just needed to go ahead in my clothes (thankfully I found some shoes). Later, I realized that I had put a pair of scrubs in maternity, but had completely forgotten this at the time. So, I did my first C-section in my regular clothes (under a gown). She bled quite a bit, but we delivered a healthy baby boy (he was transverse and I had to pull him out breech). Mom and both babies are doing wonderfully this morning. My skirt was covered in blood, but I am happy to report that it is none the worse for the wear after washing it  What, I wonder, will the next 2 years bring?

So, that is a long intro for the current theatre. It is basic, but it functions amazingly well. We are all looking forward to the new theatre building which will have 3 OR’s as well as lots of space for seeing outpatients, a casting room, a recovery room, and possibly an ICU (which we don’t currently have). Right now, the hall outside theater serves as a casting room, surgery outpatient clinic, dental clinic, dressing change area and recovery room. It gets a little crowded at times! See below for pictures.

Theatre
Drying surgical sponges that have been cleaned and will be resterilized
David, one of the scrub techs/dental tech showing off the autoclave
Scrubbed in doing a tubal ligation (don't know how my mask slipped down)


1 comment:

Scott and Emily's Blog said...

whew...that last blog had me sweating :) it is amazing how much we take for granted here in the states and how much we waste (i.e. reusing surgical sponges)I am praising God for His grace over the mother and babies! and how awesome is that...a new surgery room! Can't wait to see how that turns out... Love you lots, em