Sunday, August 30, 2009

A SPECTACULAR DRIVE

So, last time I came to Kenya, I flew from Nairobi to Eldoret (the closest big city to Kapsowar) and then drove 2 hrs from there to Kapsowar. It is certainly the most expedient way to get here, but it didn't allow for me to see a lot of Kenya. So, this time, given the fact that I had 9 pieces of luggage, I opted for the drive. I had been told that it could take up to 8 hours, but I was excited about seeing more of this country.

So, this past Wednesday morning, we took off from the guesthouse I had been staying in. Getting out of Nairobi was like getting out of any big city in developing countries - completely crazy and leaving me marveling at their defensive driving skills. Once we were out of Nairobi, we were soon driving along the Great Rift Valley. What a< site! It looks like a vast crack in the earth with dry plains at the bottom of it - this is where the Massai Mara is (one of the best safari locations). I took a couple of pics, but they didn't turn out :(

After the Rift Valley, I saw zebras running in a field right next to the road, followed by a family of baboons just hanging out on the side of the road. We were on a highway, so we couldn't slow down for pictures. It was at that point that I really felt like I had arrived in Africa.

We stopped in Eldoret for a little bit more shopping and then went on to Iten (where all the famous marathon runners train). Here we went to a lookout that overlooked another valley - the Kerio valley. It was beautiful as well (pics below).

From there, we entered the forest/jungle you have to drive through to get to Kenya. Last time I was here, I had heard that there were monkeys in the trees there, but I never saw them. I was really hoping to see them this time, and I did! There's a picture below of one of them, but we saw a whole family of them. It certainly was a bright spot in the very bumpy drive from Iten to Kapsowar, which is all dirt roads and, I think, bumpier than a year ago.

I arrived safely in Kapsowar to a chorus of "Karibu"s (welcome). It seems everyone has been awaiting my arrival and I was happy to see so many familiar faces. I then got moved into my house (see pictures on previous blog). It is a very cute house and it is slowly but surely becoming mine.

So, thank you for all the prayers for safe travels. Not only was it a safe trip - it was a fun one as well!

Traffic in Nairobi
The Kerio Valley
The dark blue you see is the valley
The monkey in the forest -
I think he's trying to say "Welcome" :)
I think this is called an acacia tree.
Anyways, it seemed very African to me.

2 comments:

Big Jim said...

I'm so glad to see that you are maintaining your blog! It helps us to "be there" with you! You come in in conversations frequently. Mom and I always encourage people to go to your blog site. So, as much as time permits, please keep the posts coming!

I like your house. But, I love the view you have from it! The area seems so remarkably beautiful!

May God richly bless you as you serve His people!

Love, Dad

Scott and Emily's Blog said...

wow! you truly are in AFRICA! I loved the pics...can you make them bigger? Samuel and I are doing letters A and S and we are going to print a picture of Africa and put it under our letter A...we will be thinking of you everytime we look at it. lov eyou em