Monday, August 24, 2009

On My Way

Well, I figured it was high time I update this blog. I am currently sitting in the Detroit airport waiting to board my flight to Amsterdam. From there, it's on to Nairobi. It's so hard to believe that the time has actually come. The last week has been filled with many tearful goodbyes as I said goodbye to very dear friends and my family. It was definitely bittersweet. I know that I am headed out to do the Lord's will and this is what is getting me through. I am excited to see what He has in store for me. I just wish I could take home with me as well :)
Quick updates on this summer - I found renters for my house and am praying that that will go well. So far, there have only been minor hiccups and I am believing that the Lord will continue to have His hand over this. I packed up my house and moved out in 4 days - with the help of my sister and my best friend and her husband. It was a whirlwind, but I was thankful to have the house situation taken care of. So, since the end of July, I was kind of a nomad - first living with my sister and then with my dear friends, the Hubartt family. It was wonderful to have that time with both my sister and with the Hubartts. It gave me lots of time with Amanda as well as my pseudo nieces and nephew - Violet (4), Anara (3) and Edison (9 months). I have many pictures that were drawn for me to take to Kenya so that I could remember them. (Like I could ever forget them!).
The last part of the summer was also busy with last minute packing, trying to widdle down what I really needed (I ended up with 9 bags!), and trying to squeeze in my favorite American foods. I don't think I forgot anything, although it would have been nice to have ice cream one last time :)
The first week of August, I was blessed to be able to go to a lake in Northern Indiana with the Hubartts. We had a blast and I experienced tubing for the first time. Many great memories were made and it was a good time to relax and hang out.
Then it was on to orientation at the Samaritan's Purse headquarters in NC. This was a very encouraging week as I learned even more about the amazing organization that I am blessed to work for now. I also was able to connect with several other "post-residents" who are doing the same program I am doing. It was wonderful to get to know them a little better and establish relationships that I hope will continue (many of us are going to various hospitals in Kenya). Plans are already being made for safari trips and it's nice to know I'll have people to call with the many questions I know I will have.
So, now it's on to Kenya. Thank you all for your prayer support and all the encouraging emails and facebook posts. Please keep them coming! Specifically, please continue to pray for this transition and that I will be reliant on the Lord to sustain me. Please let me know if there is anything I can be in prayer for you all about as well!
I look forward to updating again once I arrive in Kenya. Until then, may the Lord bless you all!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Praying for you!!!