Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I've Arrived!

I had probably the smoothest trip I've ever had getting here. Praise the Lord! It started with a very nice woman at the airport in Indy letting a few pounds for each of my 9 bags slide without overage charges. Then, my plane landed slightly early in Amsterdam, turning my nearly impossible 45 minutes between flights to a very easy hour and a half. Both long flights were smooth - especially the 2nd because I had an empty seat next to me. Then, when I arrived in Nairobi, to my amazement, all 9 bags had arrived safely. So, thank you for all your prayers!
I am in Nairobi now at a guesthouse and will be leaving for Kapsowar in the morning. It will be a 7-8 hr drive, but I am looking forward to seeing more of the country. And, I've heard there's a chance of seeing a lot of wildlife along the way (I'll be sure to take pictures).
I was so happy to see Bill and Laura Rhodes when I arrived in Nairobi. Bill is a general surgeon who has been at Kapsowar for almost 11 years now. He and his wife are amazing and I know that they will serve as fountains of knowledge and support for me over the next 2 years. Although they are currently on their way to the states for 2 1/2 months, I was able to talk with them for a long time today and ask them a lot of questions. I feel much better after doing this and am really looking forward to heading to Kapsowar. I am told that many people are awaiting my arrival. Bill also told me to take as much time as I need to get settled before I even think about going to the hospital. While I will likely just take a few days, it was a comfort knowing that that was an option. He also told me his expectation for me was to just focus on OB/GYN. I'm sure at some point I will need to do something outside my comfort realm, it was nice knowing that that wasn't an expectation. Laura also gave me lots of advice on cooking, shopping, etc.
Today I also got my cell phone and internet access and splurged on a microwave. While I could have gotten by without it, I thought that it might be nice during the next 2 years to be able to heat something up without scorching it on the stove.
So, it's off to Kapsowar. Please continue to pray. I feel that the Lord is already directing my steps and providing in so many ways. I look forward to sharing more and will post pictures as soon as I have some. Please feel free to leave comments as well - I love them!

4 comments:

Megan said...

I'm so happy to hear that you arrived safely! I hope that Qdoba was the best you've ever had! Looking forward to more updates as you get settled!

Jones House Happenings said...

Yea!! You arrived and we are so excited for you. We can't wait to be there with you. We'll be praying for you and all the transitions. I'm sure I'll be emailing all sorts of questions to you soon. Get some rest.

Big Jim said...

Hi, Christina! So glad to hear that you had a smooth trip! I guess we should have suspected God's hand in it when you received so much favor at the Indianapolis airport!

Email us your phone number, etc as soon as you have it.

Love You!

Dad

Scott and Emily's Blog said...

WOO HOO! i was so glad to get on your blog and see you did post something and that all is well with your arrival...i am so happy for you and know that God has His hand on your life. I'm glad you called before you left, it made me happy to know that I am still your friend :) sounds funny, but anyway, I love ya and can't wait to hear more. The boys' b-day party was great. I plan to post pics on the blog this weekend so if you get a chance check it out. love ya, em