Saturday, January 16, 2010

Happy (Belated) New Year’s!

Mwaka mpia mzuri! (Happy New Year in Kiswahili). So, I’ve been a little delinquent in my blogging lately and I apologize for that. Things are going well here in 2010, although they have been very unusually quiet. I asked about this, as the change is easily noticeable. I’ve been told by several people that it’s because of school fees. You see, in Kenya, parents are responsible for paying fees for the children to go to school as well as buy uniforms and school supplies. If they go to a government school, it is cheaper. If your children go to a private school, though, where the best education is, the school fees often reach 18 to 20,000 Kenyan shillings (about $250-275) – which is a lot of money for Kenyans. The vast majority of this is due at the beginning of the school year, which starts in January here. So, everyone is paying school fees and no one has money to come and see the doctor. Hence, we have been slow. What a choice to make, right?

I had a great New Year’s. I decided to leave Kapsowar for a few days and travel back to Tenwek Hospital to see my friends there, which now includes 2 more families – the Faders and the McLaughlins. Between all of my friends there, I had plenty of kids to play with, which was much needed as I have been missing my “nieces and nephew” (Violet, Anara, and Edison) a lot lately. Between all the families, they have a 4 year old, a 2 ½ year old, two 1 year olds, and an 8 month old. It was great! I traveled via matatu (much smoother than the last trip) on New Year’s Eve and arrived at Tenwek around 7:30pm. We had a great celebration, which included desserts and a new game – the bag game – which somewhat resembles Taboo. Then, at midnight here (3pm CST, 4pm EST in US), we had our own ball drop (see picture below). After that, we all went to bed  We all commented the next day that we are getting old. The rest of the weekend was a great time of hanging out, being able to discuss OB/GYN (Rachel McLaughlin is also an OB/GYN), and sharing our joys and frustrations of the field. It was a very refreshing weekend for me and I thank my Post-Residency friends for sharing their lives and homes with me. Somehow, though, we never managed to get a group picture.

On Monday, the 4th, I headed out of Alyssa’s very early in the morning to start my trek home. Last time, I went out to the hospital gate at 5:45am and there was a taxi right there to take me into Bomet. Not so this time. After sitting out there for about 45 minutes, I was told there was a matatu strike going on throughout Kenya and there might not be a taxi coming. Then, who I thought was a good Samaritan offered to take me into Bomet. However, he then proceeded to charge me 500 shillings (normal is 50 shillings). Way to take advantage of the situation! After that, it wasn’t bad and I was able to get matatus all the way home.

So, that was my New Year’s celebration. As I look back on the last year, it is amazing to me how much has changed. I am now an attending physician (or consultant here) and I have finally made it to my long-term goal of practicing medical missions. The Lord has taught me a lot this year – patience, trust, His provision, reliance on Him, and His goodness. I am so blessed to be here and to see Him in each of the patients that I treat as well as those I work with. Thank you to all of you who play a role in this each and every day! May our Lord richly bless you all and may you come to know the fullness of His love even more in 2010! Mungu aku bariki (God bless you)!

Caleb Fader, Jason Fader, and John Cropsey in our version ofthe Times Square ball drop

Eliese Cropsey (L) and Anna Fader playing in a puddle during abreak from all the rain
Rachel with her daughter, Maggie

1 comment:

Jeni said...

I love seeing the pictures! We pray for you often; we pass your picture hanging in our schoolroom hallway every day!