Thursday, December 3, 2009

Trip to Tenwek

Last weekend I decided to get away and go visit some friends at Tenwek Hospital. If you have read much about medical missions, you have probably read about Tenwek Hospital. It was started back in the 1930’s as a dispensary and became a full-fledged hospital in 1949 when Dr. Ernie Steury (a native of Berne, IN) arrived as the only doctor for about 300,000 Kipsigis people. It is now known throughout Kenya and throughout the African continent as one of the premier mission hospitals. It is much bigger than Kapsowar and has more capabilities as they have an ICU, a large NICU, and endoscopy. I have read about, and been inspired by, many physicians who have worked at Tenwek and have always wanted the opportunity to visit.

So, I hitched a ride with Dave into Eldoret (2 hours). Once there, I found a matatu (a 14 passenger van and main method of public transport here in Kenya) to Bomet (where Tenwek is located). I had previously been told that I would need to switch matatus in Kericho, but the driver in Eldoret assured me he would go directly to Bomet. “Ni pesa ngapi?” I asked (how much is it?). 650 shillings he told me. I had been told it shouldn’t cost more than 500 shillings (about $6). I told him this and he said it was more because I was going direct. “Is this what you charge Kenyans?” I asked. He laughed and assured me it was. So, I paid him and off we went. When we got to Kericho, about 3 hours later, he said I needed to change matatus. But wait, I said, you told me you would go to Bomet. No, he said, I needed to take another one. I made him pay the other driver what I had paid him for the remainder of the journey and followed him across several streets to get to the matatu to Bomet. But, I found a seat next to a very nice lady, so I figured it would be easy going from there on out – especially since I had been told Bomet was only about an hour’s drive from Kericho. Little did I know the driver would decide he needed to change a tire and then stop about every ¼ mile to let people off and pick more people up – at one point I counted and there were 26 people in the 14 passenger van! 2 hours and 45 minutes later, I arrived in Bomet. Thankfully, from there all I had to do was take a taxi for about 10 minutes and I was finally at Tenwek!

The people I was visiting were the Cropsey family and Alyssa Pfister, fellow post-resident physicians with World Medical Mission. Our paths have crossed as we all prepared to come to Kenya and we have stayed in close contact. It was great to see familiar faces and have guides around Tenwek, as well as a place to stay (thanks Alyssa!). The Cropsey’s children (Eliese, 2, and Micah, 10 months) were sick the whole weekend, which didn’t bother me, but did significantly impact John and Jessica’s sleep. They were still fun to be around, though, and helped me greatly, as I have been missing the Hubartt kids. We had a great time hanging out and exploring the area around Tenwek.

I was amazed as I saw this large hospital that not only serves as a witness to the many patients they see but also as a training ground for Kenyan physicians – training them to serve God through medicine. I also was extremely blessed by the church service there on Sunday as it was more like home with familiar songs. It was a wonderful weekend and I look forward to going back again soon (2 more post-resident families arrive there in December).


Part of Tenwek's mission station (just one small part - it's
much larger than ours)
The backyard haven at the house where I stayed
Cutey patootey Micah Cropsey
One of the kids on station feeding her chameleon a fly. What
a great way to grow up!
Part of the hospital. The large building in the back houses
the operating rooms.
Me by the sign at the entrance to the hospital - new for its
50th anniversary this year
A nearby waterfall. The hospital gets all of its power from
here - they have their own hydroelectric plant!
Alyssa getting into a book she was reading for the Cropsey kids

3 comments:

Em said...

I love Tenwek. I am glad you had the oppertunity to visit!

Em

Tom and Cheri' said...

Dr. Christina,
I'm enjoying reading your blog. I am looking forward to coming to Kapsowar next month and to getting to opportunity to meet you and work with you. I'm a FP and am bringing 4 older kids with me. If you have anything that you would like me to bring please let me know. My kids want to be involved in ministry while there as well. I'm also interested in what your church is doing to help with the medical bills of your patients. Please write back with your thoughts on these issues. thoward@paulbunyan.net. Take care and God Bless.

Megan Shirley said...

I'm glad you had fun. I wish we could have been there with everyone! Your next visit it is to Kijabe!!