Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Real Kenyan Wedding

A couple of weekends ago, I had the distinct privilege of attending my first real Kenyan wedding. It was a special one, too. Many of you might remember me writing in my blog a few months ago about reversing a woman’s circumcision. Well, this was her wedding. She asked me to come and ride in the bridal car with her, which is a huge honor. So, of course I went. Little did I know I would basically become part of the bridal party!

It started early Saturday morning as I boarded a matatu at 5:45am in Kapsowar for the 2 hour ride to Eldoret. I was told I had to be there early, because we were supposed to be in Kitale (about an hour and a half from Eldoret) for the wedding at 10. I was met in Eldoret by Lynn, one of the maternity nurses who was in the bridal party, and we went to Claire’s (the bride’s) brother’s house. There I was greeted by many members of the family (including the adorable flower girls and mini groomsmen seen below) who I was told had all eagerly been awaiting my arrival. It was great to see Claire as well. I settled in while they all finished (or began, rather) their wedding preparations. In true Kenyan fashion, 10 o’clock came and went and no one was even dressed yet. About noon, all the children sat down to eat lunch and about 12:30, the bride and bridal party finally emerged in all their glory. We then all piled into several vehicles that were decorated in flowers for the trip to Kitale. I rode in the front seat of Claire’s car (why the bride wasn’t in the front, I have no idea), which was a very nice Land Rover. After about 1 ½ hours (which included a bathroom/snack stop!), we arrived at the church in Kitale, where needless to say, everyone was eagerly awaiting the bride’s arrival (for about the last 2 hours).

There was no fanfare for the bride’s entrance, as we were so late, and the bridal party hurried right to the front. The service was similar in many ways to a Western wedding – a short sermon, vows exchanged, a kiss. There were, however, many additions, including a gospel choir that sang several songs, including one where the bride and groom danced, as well as several other “mini sermons” by other people in the church. Another thing I was delighted to see were some Pokot (a tribe in Kenya) people in traditional dress – including feathers on their heads, animal skin clothes, and lots of beaded accessories. Claire’s husband is Pokot and so these were his relatives. The Pokot people are a very traditional tribe in Kenya and the Pokot district borders Marakwet (where I live). They are herders and dress if very bright clothing and lots of beads. They also did some traditional Pokot dances at the reception. It was a true cultural experience!

After the ceremony, I was whisked away with the bridal party to a local agricultural center for pictures. Then it was back to the reception, where I was sat with the bridal party to eat. We enjoyed a meal of roasted chicken, pilau (a rice dish), chipate (flatbread), a cabbage salad, and soda. It was wonderful! It was a great day and I was so thankful to get to be a part of it. I’ve put some pictures below.

2 of the adorable flower girls with another relative
One of the mini groomsmen
The bride making her first appearanceThe front of the bridal car
The bridal party arriving at the church
The bride and her parents entering the church
The happy couple
The entire bridal party
Me with Claire
Rose (who will be an anesthetist at Kapsowar soon), Me, and Lynn
A Pokot woman


4 comments:

Cassandra Bromfield's Blogs said...

Congrats to the happy couple.

Scott and Emily's Blog said...

wonderful relationships you are being blessed with... em

Sarah Gutierrez said...

That video is so fun!

Unknown said...

Yes I totally agree with u Sarah. I love the wedding video. Its fun to watch and it has quite a lot to learn about Kenyan weddings. Congratulations to the couple.