Sunday, December 20, 2009

New Gyn exam room

Having a gynecologist at Kapsowar is a relatively new thing – there hasn’t been one here for over 20 years. As such, word is spreading quickly and I’m seeing more and more gynecologic patients, which is a great thing. The not so great thing – there was no good set-up for doing a decent gyn exam (every woman’s favorite thing). I was making do with seeing patients in the ultrasound room and then if they needed a speculum exam, moving them to the OB triage room to a bed with no stirrups and using my headlight for a light. It was less than ideal.

So, one day I talked with Wilson, the head of nursing, about my idea to turn the office on maternity into a good gyn exam room. He was excited about this and ran with it. The old, monstrous computer table was replaced with a new slimmer model. A shelving unit was built for the wall to store textbooks and supplies. A new exam table was built to replace the one I took with stirrups from the outpatient area. I was given soak buckets for speculums. I will soon have exam lights. While it may not seem like much, it is a huge improvement and so much better now for me to care for the women here. So, thank you to those of you who have, and continue to support me. Because of your generosity, women can now be examined in at least relative comfort!



4 comments:

The Friess Family said...

Nice Exam room! Does the window have curtains?

Sarah Gutierrez said...

Wow! Very nice. Seeing this, I will not complain ever again about my ob's office, with it's comfy heated table, pretty pictures on the wall, and padded stirrups. :) Keep up the good work Christina. I hope you're recovering from the Malaria.

Tom and Cheri' said...

I haven't heard from you about bringing anything to Kenya next month. Let me know of any requests. Take care and God Bless.

eleasa said...

looks great! what a difference this room is to the old one for the women you'll be treating!