Friday, November 6, 2009

31st Birthday!

So, for the second year in a row, I celebrated my birthday in Kenya (October 26th – I’m a little behind on blogging). It was a very busy day at the hospital that day. However, the night was great and very relaxing. Mikel, one of the hospital employees and our station “hostess” and my Kenyan mom, hosted my birthday dinner at her house. We had about 12 people there and had a wonderful pot-luck feast. Mikel and Drew had made me a cake (see picture below) and they all sang me happy birthday. I was then presented with gifts – Kenyan sarongs. It was a wonderful night spent with new friends and I felt very blessed. I also received several special calls from home that day and voicemails from my “nieces” Violet and Anara. All in all, it was a great day!

The next day, I traveled to Eldoret with the Sawer’s to pick up 2 new medical students from Australia (actually from Canada, but going to school in Australia). Ben and Cathy treated me to lunch at a Chinese restaurant to extend the birthday festivities. It was a wonderful birthday!

My birthday cake
Me in my gifts with Mikel
Part of the gathering - from Left to Right - Trudy Peterson,
Cathy Sawer, Ben Sawer, me, Dave Peterson, Mikel, and James

No comments: