Tuesday, October 7, 2008

On My Way Soon

Wow - it has been a long time since I've posted. Well, I now leave for Kenya in 6 days. I'm so excited and thankful for this opportunity. As I said in my previous blog, I will be working at Kapsowar hospital as an OB/GYN (and whatever else is needed) for three weeks. This trip has 2 purposes. The first is to be a servant and minister to the Marakwet people as well as hopefully somewhat relieve the long-term physicians that are there. The second is to check out the hospital to see if this is where God would have me be for 2 years starting next summer. I have officially been accepted to World Medical Mission's post-residency program and Kapsowar is a possible place for me to go. Please pray for wisdom as I prayerfully consider this.
I will first be headed to Boone, NC on 10/9 for a medical missions conference at The Cove (Billy Graham's conference center). I'm very excited for this as I know it will be a time of encouragement and refreshing. It will also be a time to reconnect with Dr. Dee Kotschwar, a physician from home who the Lord has used at many times throughout my life as a mentor and encourager in this journey. I'm also excited because the general surgeon who is usually at Kapsowar is one of the keynote speakers, so I will get to meet him.
Then, on Sunday 10/12, I'll leave from Asheville, NC, head to Detroit, then to Amsterdam, then to Nairobi. I'll stay overnight in Nairobi and then take a propeller plane (yikes) to Eldoret. From there it will be a 2 hr drive and at long last I will be in Kapsowar. My duties while there, as I understand them, will be to help run the maternity ward as well as the outpatient prenatal clinics. I'm sure it will be a time of learning and stretching me outside of my comfort zone.
I thank all of you who have been praying for me. I'm really excited to see what God's plan is for me through all of this.
I will be keeping this updated, so please check in and send me comments. It's always good to hear from home! I will be home on Oct. 31st.

Some prayer requests:
- That I would have a humble spirit that is teachable
- Wisdom for how to care for patients in a culturally-appropriate way
- That I would listen to the Lord's leading for the future
- Safety in travel as well as health while there
- My best friend, Amanda, will be 35wks pregnant when I leave and 38 weeks when I return. We are planning on me doing the delivery and I would be devastated if I miss it. Please pray that the Lord would keep her and the baby safe.

1 comment:

Scott and Emily's Blog said...

can't wait to see what God has in store for you dearest! love em