Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Karibu

Karibu! This is a word I have heard many, many times since arriving in Kenya 2 days ago. It means welcome and the people here are more welcoming than most other places I have been. After LONG plane rides, I arrived in Nairobi Monday night. I arrived at the guest house I was staying at around 9:30pm and promptly took a shower and crashed. Then, it was up at 5:30 Tuesday morning to get ready. I then flew from Nairobi to Eldoret (a 30 min flight), which is the closest big city to Kapsowar. I was met by a worker from the hospital who took me shopping for food and necessities in Eldoret and then we began a bumpy 2 hour drive to Kapsowar. The first half was on paved roads and the last half was on clay dirt roads. I was very thankful that the mud from the rains the night before had mostly dried out!
The drive may have been bumpy, but it was so beautiful! This area is amazing. Very green, up in the mountains. We drove through a forest at one point which seemed like something out of a movie it was so perfect.
So, I finally arrived at Kapsowar around noon on Tuesday. I was shown to my house (yes, I have a whole house to myself) and met the house helper Mary, who is amazing and always has a smile on her face. I then was invited to one of the missionary’s house for lunch. Paul Larson is an FP here who has been doing all of the obstetrics. His wife and children lovingly welcomed me, including placing a handmade welcome sign on my door.
It was then off to tour the hospital and find out what my duties would be. It is a small hike to the hospital, but again beautiful. I am impressed with the work they are doing here with an extremely limited supply of resources. I am now in charge of the maternity unit and from what I hear it has been busy (in fact, right now we have 2 laboring patients and one laboring VBAC). I’m also in charge of doing ultrasounds. I am on call every other night during the week and all weekend both weekends I’m here. I am fine with this, though, as it gives Dr. Larson a much needed break.
This morning I went to a chapel service for all of the hospital staff. It was amazing to hear them lift their voices in song – I just wish I could have understood the words :)
So, things are going well here. I’ll write more soon. Still trying to figure out the internet connection, but hopefully I’ll be able to post pictures soon.
Keep praying!

5 comments:

Big Jim said...

Hi, Christina!
Your description of Kenya is similar to that of a friend who went there on vacation some years back - beautiful! I am happy to see that the people there are more welcoming than those in Afghanistan were when you were there! Being far away must be easier when the people you see are friendly and open.
Be sure to keep up your blog as best you can. A number of people are going to be visiting it. Mom and I both pray that God will use you in blessing both the medical staff and the locals while you are there.
Be well! Stay healthy!
Love,
DAD

Scott and Emily's Blog said...

So glad to know you are there safely!! I am just so thankful that you are continuing with God's call on your life Christine; it is so easy to fall back into the comforts of home and forget where God is calling you...but you haven't after all the years back in the states. I love you lots and am so excited to read every blog. What a great missionary family...love em

Emily said...

Christina!
It is great to hear from you...your description of the people and the beautiful surroundings is similar to my wonderful memories of Tanzania! Too bad it's so far away or I'd come right away to visit ;-) Will be praying for you and can't wait to hear and see more!
Emily

Big Jim said...

Christina,
Hope all is going well for you these first few days in Kenya. I anxiously look each morning to see if you have posted anything new. Guess what? I was able to get two VIP tickets to see Sarah Palin in Indianapolis tomorrow night for Bethany! She is sooooooo excited. She told me that she was going to write her a note and slip it into her hand when she shook her hand. She will need to tell you all about it. Nothing new and exciting at home. Praying for you. Cannot wait to hear more of your adventures. I know that God is going to use you mightily and he is going to stretch you in different ways on this trip. I miss you and love you!! Mom

Robin said...

Christina and know that you are safe and sound. It's so nice that everyone is being so welcoming and warm to you. How nice that you have your own house too! I pray for you each morning and night..I know that God will take good care of you as you care for the people. I miss you so much and can't wait to have you back home safe and sound!! Love Robin @ St V