Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Day of Goodbyes

So, the previous blog was actually from Tuesday. Now it is Wednesday, and I have worked my last day at the hospital. It was a bittersweet day as I said goodbye to everyone.
During my morning rounds, Katherine, the head nurse of maternity told me that during chai (tea) today, a hallowed daily tradition, we would all gather so that I could say something to everyone. I figured that meant me and the maternity nurses. Oh no, when I got there, most of the hospital was there. It was such a humbling experience! Someone from each department got up and said something to me. I was given a necklace, a beaded adornment to be worn on the forehead, and an African outfit. They prayed for me. Also, Jean, one of the medical students, brought Emily, my little buddy from peds ward, who finally got to go home today after being in the hospital for 2 ½ months. I was truly humbled by what they said and praise the Lord that He was able to work through me during this short time. They all said that they knew I would be back and also were praying for a husband for me J At the end, all of the women gathered around me and danced and sang a song. I have a video of it – it was great. A true African experience.
I went from that uplifting experience to a tragic one as I scanned a young 18 year old soon-to-be mother and had to give her the heartbreaking news that her baby had a fatal anomaly – ancephaly (no brain development) as well as omphalocoele (a condition where abdominal contents are outside of the body). Her baby’s liver was even outside the body. While I was excited for myself that I actually saw all of these things, my heart broke for her as we cried together over the loss of something she was so eagerly awaiting. We prayed together for peace and for hope and pray that she will know these both in the days ahead.
Ok, so this actually will be my last post. I am all packed and am hanging out with the med students tonight. I will be off at 5:30 tomorrow morning and home around 4 pm Indianapolis time on Friday. Thank you all again for all the prayers and encouragement you have given. I love you all and have lots to share when I return.

No comments: