Saturday, May 15, 2010

Nina's here!


One of the highlights of my time home was my visit to Ft. Wayne to see my best friend, Amanda Hubartt, and her family. Her kids have been like my nieces and nephew and I was present for the birth of her oldest (Violet, bottom left) and delivered her youngest (Edison). I was also at the airport when they brought Anara home from Kyrgyzstan. They are like family to me and I was really excited to see them. Even better was the fact that I would be getting there on Violet's birthday and Anara's followed 3 days later - and they had no idea.
As I was driving there, I got a call from Amanda saying that Violet had woken up in the middle of the night and told her Grandma that she had to call Nina (their name for me) in the morning to tell her she was 5. So, Amanda wanted me to know that she would be calling, but still thought I was in Kenya. So, she called and excitedly told me that she was still 5 and what her plans were for her big day. I told her that I wished I could be there for it, and she said she did too. About an hour later, I walked through their front door and the girls had the most confused looks on their faces. It lasted a few seconds, and then they screamed and ran to me. What a great reunion! Edison, 18 months old, wasn't too sure at first, but within a day, he was calling me Nina and asking for me when he would hear my voice.
Amanda and I had a great time catching up. It was great to be together again and feel like no time at all had passed. We went to the Ft. Wayne zoo, to an amazing ice cream shop (DeBrand's), shopping, out to eat - all of our normal activities. We also had good time to talk and share. It was a refreshing and encouraging time. We also benefited from her husband's new job at Vera Bradley :) I am blessed to have such great friends who I love dearly!

Practicing for a real African safari at the zoo

Playing the drums at the zoo


A yummy sundae for Vi's birthday

Me with the birthday girl

Anara rockin' out to the new Princess CD player I gave her


Super Eddie!


Amanda and I

Violet, Edison, and Anara at the girls' birthday party

1 comment:

Maria Kristiansen said...

so happy to find this blog! beautiful photos and stories.