Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mental Health Day

As I said in my last post, one of the great things about being at this
conference has been the time to network and fellowship with other
medical missionaries from all over the continent of Africa. Last
Friday, we (me, the 2 other OB/GYN's in the post-residency program,
and Stephany, a post-resident pediatrician) decided we needed what we
termed a mental health day in Nairobi. All of us have been facing
fatigue and emotional exhaustion at times and felt that we needed a
day to refresh.

So, we piled into Sara's car and headed off to Nairobi - to a
wonderful place (my new favorite place in Nairobi!) called Village
Market. It is a beautiful outdoor mall much like one I've been to in
San Diego. I felt like the little country bumpkin as we walked
through, which I think made everyone else laugh. We first headed to a
coffee shop much like a Starbuck's to get our caffeine fix for the day
- it was very good. We then went to a nail place for mani's and
pedi's - much needed relaxation! It was wonderful. Afterwards we
went to the food court area and ate perhaps the best Indian food I
have ever had. What a treat that was! We spent the rest of the
afternoon just walking around and doing some shopping at the Nakumatt
there (a large grocery store).

While at Nakumatt, I saw a familiar face. It was one of my medical
school classmates whom I had not seen since graduation. After getting
over our shock of seeing each other in a grocery store in Nairobi,
Kenya, I found out that he is working at Kijabe Hospital - the same
place I've been staying with friends for the last week. Just when I
think the world couldn't possibly get any smaller, it does :)

It was a great day of relaxation and female bonding and made me so
thankful to have so many other post-residents here in Kenya with me.
Being with all of these wonderful people for the last week has made me
realize that wherever the Lord places me long-term, I need to be
somewhere with a team of people. The support and encouragement gained
from that, as well as the expanded wisdom base, is invaluable.
Village Market also has a movie theater, bowling alley, miniature golf
course, and water park. I think I will be going back again sometime.

Sharon and I getting our manicures Sara (in the front) and Stephany getting their pedicures The end results

2 comments:

The Friess Family said...

Lots of fun going with you, so glad we took a day for mental health and friendship.

Benedicks in Shell said...

Hi Christina! Just checking in from South America. We really enjoy reading your blog, and we've been praying for you and thinking about you. Love, The Benedicks