Sunday, October 28, 2007

I'm here!

Well, it is almost 10 am in the morning on Sunday in Indy, and I'm here in Afghanistan finally. For those of you wondering, I am 8 hrs ahead of Indianapolis. We have been here for about 7 hours now. The trip was uneventful - I just barely caught my connection in Detroit. But, all was well. We had an 8 hr layover in Dubai, which is one of the nicest airports in the world. We found a place to take hot showers, and they were heavenly! Then, on our flight from Dubai to Kabul, we met a delightful Afghan woman who was very willing to talk to us and tell us her perspective of Afghanistan's history and current state. It was definitely enlightening!
The scene coming into Afghanistan was a beautiful one - lots of mountains. Then, as we got closer to Kabul, it became a vast of brown dust with no relief of green. The airport wasn't too bad. Peter Chun was there to meet us - for those of you who don't know, he is a missionary from my church back home that has started the work here in Afghanistan. The only hitch - our luggage wasn't there to meet us. We had to transfer it over in Dubai, and we're hoping it gets here tomorrow morning. Time to be flexible.
Today, we went to the school that Uncharted has started and met the staff there. Their hospitality and joyful spirit were amazing to me. We also went to CURE hospital to look around and I was able to meet Dr. Hill, who will be supervising me. I will be going back on Wednesday to do morning obstetric rounds with them and meet everyone. I'm very excited about that!
It seems like doors are opening - tomorrow we will go to 2 government women's hospitals to see what care there is like and what the needs are. On Tuesday, we will be going to a village clinic that was started by the organizations that is housing us (SoZo) that has an OB clinic. I'm getting excited about getting started.
Thank you all for all your prayers! I can feel them. Please continue to pray for safety - so far, I have not felt threatened at all. Also, please pray for wisdom for me that I can compassionately and critically look at the situation here and give my best advice to the team from Uncharted about how they could potentially fit into the medical scene here. Speicifically, we would like to do something that would meet the needs of the people, while being able to establish meaningful and purposeful relationships.
Until later - I'd love to get some comments! I'll try to post pics next time.

3 comments:

Brad Keating said...

I'm so glad you made it there safely, Christina! I'm excited to see how it goes. It makes me really happy to see that you are still committed to doing missions, when there are so many things that could distract you during the many years of preparation. I know God will use you, wherever He ends up sending you.

Karis is doing very well after her surgery. Except for the incisions, you would never know she had surgery a few days ago. She is happy and laughing like normal.

Love, Christy (and Brad and Karis)

Nathan, Amanda, Violet and Anara said...

Thanks for blogging. I was excited to hear that you will be doing obstetric rounds on Wednesday - just another day huh?. Yes, we are excited to see pictures. We will be praying.

Scott and Emily's Blog said...

Hey dearest! I am so excited you are there safe and sound! I've been checking everyday to see if you added anything :) I am bummed I didn't get to chat with you before you left.
We are praying for you. I know He is going to teach you a lot and use you.
Keep your eyes open for opportunities for a young married couple and child! all my love