Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Another Birthday in Kapsowar

Yesterday, for the 3rd year in a row, I celebrated a birthday in Kapsowar.  In 2008, I came to Kapsowar for a visit, knowing that I might be coming here for 2 years with World Medical Mission's Post-Residency Program.  That year, I celebrated a milestone birthday with the Kenyan medical students that were here at the time.  I enjoyed the fact that it was very low-key.  Last year, I had been in Kapsowar for about 2 months and celebrated with Kenyan and "wazungu" friends at Mikal's house (you can see my blog post from that).  This year, I was treated to many special treats.  When I came home at lunchtime, I found a homemade sign and balloons from the Jones (see pic below).  I was then treated to a very yummy ladies luncheon at the Rhodes house - along with Laura, Vanessa also came and two of our visitors - Janie Shumacher and Kristin O'Dell.  We had chicken enchiladas, guacamole, mexican rice, salad (with real lettuce thanks to Vanessa's garden) and fruit salad complete with kiwi.  What a treat it was!!!  Laura also made a chocolate cake, which was, like all of her cakes, scrumptious.  Last night, despite several power outages, everyone came over and we enjoyed watching "National Treasure" on the big screen at my house.  It was a wonderful birthday and I feel so blessed to have the community I do here.


My birthday sign from the Jones

(L to R): Laura Rhodes, Janie Shumacher, Me, Vanessa Jones

My yummy birthday cake

1 comment:

Big Jim said...

32 years old! WOW! Mom and I aren't old enough to have a child that is 32! How'd that happen?! Happy Birthday, Christina! I wish in some ways that you were closer so we could have celebrated it with you. But, God is using you mightily in Kenya. So, mom and I will have to find comfort in that, even while we miss you here. BUT..... mom, April and little Carson will be there very soon! And, even though I will not be able to make the trip with them, my love will make the trip, too! I love you very much! DAD